MERLIN will provide solutions to:
- Potentially recover and recycle the 3.03 Mt/year of multi-layer packaging waste in Europe, reducing greenhouse gas emissions and the dependence on imported fossil fuels.
- Potentially save up to 7.42 Mt CO2/year in carbon footprint by recycling all the multi-layer waste in Europe.
- Potentially have an economic impact of €10,605 million/year on the European economy, considering that manufactured products based on recycled plastic have an average market price in the range of €1.8-5/kg and that there is a volume of 3.03 Mt of non-recovered multi-layer plastic packaging.
- Potentially create over 47,133 new jobs per year, considering a rate of job creation of 1 job per €225,000 of additional turnover.
- Contribute to boosting of the EU market for recycled plastics to 10 million tonnes of recycled plastic by 2025, as proposed by The Circular Plastics Alliance.